Wednesday 13 August 2014

Recipe: Basic Houmous!


Houmous is something that everyone boasts to have the perfect recipe for.  My homemade attempts have always (to me) lacked a certain something. So I end up going back to store bought.  However, I've finally got the quantities (and a secret ingredient!) to a level where I'm happy to give up my beloved mass produced houmous, and trust my own creation!!



Let's face it, houmous is just a few basic ingredients; chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, salt, lemon juice and sometimes tahini. The key is the proportions. So here is my contribution to the world of homemade houmous:

2x 400g tins chickpeas (480g drained / cooked)
2.5 (37.5g) tbsps olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
50g tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
A pinch of black pepper
And my secret ingredient: 30g roasted garlic sauce! ( I use Tesco Ingredients range which is confirmed vegan)

Pop in blender and whizz to desired consistency! If you need to thin it - which I can't imagine - use water or olive oil.

This makes 8 portions. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment